Thursday, January 19, 2017

WAT PHRA THAT DOI SUTHEP

Updated from original post on www.chimburi.com at Wat Phra That Doi Suthep

A visit to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep is a MUST when in Chiang Mai! I have been here at every single one of my visits at least once. It's always been a very touristy thing to do...or with other words, even if you just want to pay respect to the Buddha here you will be surrounded by tourists. What amazes me though is to see how massively under dressed and in some cases disrespectful tourists come to this important temple. Both western and asian! It's loud and busy and there is almost no way to take photos without tourists in them. These days it is just selfie-crazy! 

But it is an important temple and I consider it good luck to come to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep at the beginning of my trip to Chiang Mai.  I have not taken the red song taeows up here anymore, but I know that they will now collectively drive all the tourists up here from the base of the mountain. In the old days they were still taken you up to the temple alone. Lately I either come by motorbike, which is much easier to park, or with cars of friends/tours which always causes a major headache for parking. 

My last trip was part of a White Hmong Village/Bhuping Palace round trip, so we got here in the afternoon. The view onto the city was excellent and I think in all those years I never had such a clear view!

Sadly the under dressed tourists are not the only problem. There have also been reports of young tourists who kick the bells with their feet (as in a kung fu fight), hence there are now more signs about what not to do. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment